.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

sufrensucatash

news & opinion with no titillating non-news from the major non-news channels.

 

I am: progressive, not a wild-eyed Progressive; liberal, but shun liberals and Liberals; conservative, but some Conservatives worry me; absolutely NOT a libertarian. I am: an idealist, but no utopian; a pragmatist, but no Machiavellian. I am a realist who dreams.

 

I welcome all opinions.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Is Torture Wrong when Life is on the Line:
   Some thoughts

Yesterday, a man was shot and killed by air marshals after he claimed to have a bomb. It turned out he didn't.

Those who have been following my debate on the use of "torture" as a legitimate tool in protecting life will understand why I include this quote from today's LA Times,

But, said Jon Adler, president of the Law Enforcement Agents Assn., "The fact that [Alpizar] did not ultimately have a bomb is not relevant to the action taken by the air marshals.

I will try and get the important points of that debate posted here shortly.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jay Cline said...

.

and more:

Sheriff Defends Use of Force

Sheriff's homicide investigators have reviewed the recording and say it verifies the accounts from deputies and witnesses who said Gomez was compelled to shoot because he feared for the safety of the deputies around him.

12/09/2005 3:11 PM  
Blogger Jay Cline said...

.

and more:

Suit Over R.I. Police Shooting Rejected

A federal jury Friday rejected a $20 million civil rights lawsuit against the Police Department over the fatal shooting of a black officer by two white colleagues who mistook him for a suspect.

12/09/2005 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home