.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

sufrensucatash

news & opinion with no titillating non-news from the major non-news channels.

 

I am: progressive, not a wild-eyed Progressive; liberal, but shun liberals and Liberals; conservative, but some Conservatives worry me; absolutely NOT a libertarian. I am: an idealist, but no utopian; a pragmatist, but no Machiavellian. I am a realist who dreams.

 

I welcome all opinions.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Rhymes of History:
   Need a Moniker for a Research Project

Google 'historical cycles' and you'll get several million hits. From Mayan calendars to astrological cycles to generational cycles to cycles of history, the examples of the repetition of history are endless.

I want to explore those cycles. Knowing the cycles not only bares the past but reveals the future. And I want to know both.

But, before I start on this epic venture, I need a moniker. A Rhyme in Time, The Rhyme of History, Rhyming Time, are a few that come to mind, all influenced by the quote allegedly from Mark Twain, or at least, from Will Rogers quoting Twain (??), "The past does not repeat itself, but it does rhymes."

Regardless of the provenance, it appeals to me.

I am also partial to Santayana's quote about those not learning from history are doomed to repeat it, but it lacks the structural implications of the other.

Anyway, whilst I ponder this, if anyone has suggestions, drop me a note.

2 Comments:

Blogger jaroslawmudry said...

Dear Friend,
You are realist that dreams of what? Sure sounds like you are Libertarian and don't realize it.
I suggest taking the Libertarian test and remove all doubt.
Sincerely,
Jaroslawmudry

4/25/2010 5:08 PM  
Blogger Jay Cline said...

JarJar,

Curious choice of article to comment on someone's self-identification. How does a 5 year old article about historical patterns have anything to do with pathetic attempts to dis someone's stated political anti-preferences?

5/07/2010 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home