.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

sufrensucatash

news & opinion with no titillating non-news from the major non-news channels.

 

I am: progressive, not a wild-eyed Progressive; liberal, but shun liberals and Liberals; conservative, but some Conservatives worry me; absolutely NOT a libertarian. I am: an idealist, but no utopian; a pragmatist, but no Machiavellian. I am a realist who dreams.

 

I welcome all opinions.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Who is this guy?!:
   Calgarian Ian Robinson makes my Blogroll

Ian Robinson, news columnist for the Calgary Sun, writes a weekly Sunday special. If this is an example of his work, I got some Sunday reading to do.

From Robinson's column yesterday,

Pacifists don't believe in violence and refuse to use it or abet its use. Pacifists are therefore moral imbeciles.

They're like the guy at the party who won't kick in for the pizza but sneaks a slice when he thinks nobody's looking.

And last week,

There are increasing calls for Canada to remove our troops from Afghanistan because they're fighting. Peacekeeping good, goes the mantra from the left. Peacemaking - at the point of a gun - bad.

The Canadian perspective is, however, mostly irrelevant to world affairs. It's hard to take a country seriously that cloaks itself in such sanctimony, and has to beg rides from its allies to get its soldiers into action.

Americans move troops in vast armadas of state-of-the-art helicopters. Canadians hitch-hike.

I met a girl from Calgary in London once. Nice lady. More Westerner than Canadian. Of course, even the folks up in Winnepeg are familiar. I seem to remember secession talk out there, when the French Canadians were threatening to secede themselves. We could used a couple more states. Need to get up there more often. My Grandpa had homesteaded up near Peace River one summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home