.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

sufrensucatash

news & opinion with no titillating non-news from the major non-news channels.

 

I am: progressive, not a wild-eyed Progressive; liberal, but shun liberals and Liberals; conservative, but some Conservatives worry me; absolutely NOT a libertarian. I am: an idealist, but no utopian; a pragmatist, but no Machiavellian. I am a realist who dreams.

 

I welcome all opinions.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Undemocratic Democrats:
   Democracy and Freedom, but only if I say it is.

Am I the only one who sees the inherent contradiction in Byron Williams' Rediscovering democracy article at workingforchange.com?

Time to return to first principles in Washington

"The surface of American society is covered with a layer of democratic paint, but from time to time one can see the old aristocratic colors breaking through."

-- Alexis de Tocqueville

Could 2006 be the year that we reclaim our democracy?

As we begin the new year, reclaiming our democratic traditions seems to be a priority greater than even the war on terror.

Reclaim it? Was it stolen? Did I miss the putsch?

This (il)logic hyperbolic rhetoric assumes, of course, that the minority party (you know, the one that legitimately lost the last election) is the only legitimate choice of the electorate, regardless of the electoral results.

It also seems the Democrats are not afraid of using the 'fear' factor in politics.

Oh, wait. That is supposed to be the Republican's forte.

Silly me.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home